CommonBond's Strategic Plan
Click here for a downloadable pdf of CommonBond's strategic plan executive summary.
Click here for a downloadable pdf of CommonBond's complete strategic plan.
For 40 years, CommonBond Communities has served the region
and is now the largest nonprofit provider of affordable housing with services.
CommonBond develops, owns or manages 5,000 rental apartments and townhomes throughout 50 cities in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Close to 8,000 people—families, seniors, and people with disabilities and other barriers—call CommonBond home. More than 2,000 of these individuals are children. On average, resident household income is $14,000 a year.
CommonBond is considered a national leader and innovator
in the affordable housing and community development field. The organization demonstrates that top-quality affordable housing combined with onsite Advantage Services for residents, transforms lives, engages the local community and provides a long-term asset to the surrounding neighborhood.
CommonBond is strongly positioned to continue to help communities address their affordable housing and community revitalization needs, while assuring people with low incomes achieve their goals for stability, advancement, and independence.
This Strategic Plan provides a framework for CommonBond to fulfill its mission and grow at a sustainable pace through 2013.
VISION, MISSION AND VALUES
CommonBond builds stable homes, strong futures, and vibrant communities.
Every person has a dignified, affordable home that supports independence and advancement within a flourishing community.
We value all persons, treat others with dignity, and conduct our business with honesty.
We believe nothing is more important than hope in the future and
opportunities to realize dreams.
We encourage an entrepreneurial approach to challenges.
We forge long term relationships at all levels to broaden and deepen our impact.
We assure excellent results with limited human capital and financial resources.
We work to advance social and economic justice for all.
Increase and preserve the supply of quality affordable housing with services. We will:
- Add 1,000 new units.
- Refinance and preserve 600 units in CommonBond’s existing portfolio.
- Maintain a portfolio of 500-700 units managed for other owners.
- Continue to provide services that improve resident stability, advancement
- Develop a comprehensive expansion plan for housing with services into
new geographic markets.
- Incorporate green environmental practices fully in our housing and operations.
Engage community leaders and the public in achieving CommonBond’s mission. We will:
- Complete the Open 4000 Doors campaign while increasing annual funding.
- Increase CommonBond brand awareness.
- Educate the public about affordable housing, resident services, and
- Influence public policy in partnership with others in our field.
- Fully deploy the Board of Directors in achieving our goals.
- Ensure volunteer opportunities that benefit the volunteers, CommonBond and the community.
Build the capacity of CommonBond to excel and achieve its strategic vision. We will:
- Ensure that CommonBond’s financial position sustains and advances excellence, growth, and innovation.
- Improve internal processes, systems, and capacities to advance the mission, support growth, and manage risk.
- Move to a new headquarters.